Tuesday 10 May 2011

The Great Spirit: Pat LePoidevin



On Friday I went to see Pat LePoidevin. I knew that his show was going to be magic but I wasn’t prepared for how deeply I would be moved by his incredible sound. Pat Lepoidevin is a truly gifted musician. His beautiful voice ranges between an eerie falsetto that lingers in the air to a deep low pulse. His songs are all lovely tales that seem to have an ancient memory attached to them, like old recipes that have been handed down through generations. I feel like the Spirit of this Great Land has chosen him to channel its stories.

Watching his hand work on his guitar and how effortlessly his fingers move as they change notes is like watching a beautifully choreographed dance. His live show is phenomenal because you see how he builds his songs from the bare bones using a just looper pedal. He records a verse and builds upon it-I feel like he weaves with his voice. The sound grows and expands like a fire. His harmonies are stunning and they stirred something so deep inside me I actually had to fight back tears when he sang Mary.

He had the entire crowd transfixed. We were silent. Never have I been to a show where you could hear a pin drop. I am still recovering from the experience. This man has an incredible gift and more people need to know. Please just take a second out of your day to go check him out. You will be blown away. I promise.







No comments: